The first school established in Kingwilliamstown was a military school in the military reserve; to teach the drummer and band boys, and such of the Privates as wished to learn to read and write.
By July 1859 good schools have recently been opened in King Williams Town, for young persons of both sexes. 6 Sept, 1877. Foundation stone of Dale College was laid by the Governor, Sir Bartle Frere The Headmaster RH Fuller announced that Sir Langham Dale had consented to his name being used to name the school. Dale College Building in Queen痴 Road officially opened.
November 1879 Dale College defeated Alberts Cricket Club Team by 22 runs 31 July 1880. Rugby. Dale College vs. The Ever Ready Club (an adult Team) July 1890 Rev. J. G. Sutton (Bob) appointed Headmaster. Reigned for 22 ½ years; 31 boys in 1890 while in 1912 there were 250 boys (+/- 100 borders) 30 August 1891. Rugby Dale College vs. Queenstown Public School (Became Queens College in 1910) 1892, Rugby Dale College vs. East London Public School (Became Selborne College in 1907)24 July 1893 Founding of the Old Dalian Union.
February 1894 – School colours are changed from Chocolate and Blue to Red Black. 1904 Formation of the School Board. 1907 – New Dale College Building on Albert Road acquired. Foundation Stone laid 20 March 1907 by Mr. J W Weir. 1908 – This fine red brick Albert Road building – Dale College – was designed by Sir Herbert Baker. Officially opened by Dr Thomas Muir, Superintendent of Education of the Cape Colony.
1911 – Dale College Rugby Jersey introduced. Black with narrow Red hoops.
27 February 1959 – Foundation Stone laid for “New” Dale College building.
1960 – New Dale College opened.